Okay I know, water is the best thing to drink when you're trying to lose weight, be healthy, and stay hydrated.
Secondly, if I'm working out, water is like pure liquid gold. I don't know why, but it is the only thing I could even fathom drinking when I workout. I am taken aback when I see people exercising and drinking beverages such as Gatorade and Powerade. What in the hell? For reals.
1. Most of the sports drinks out there are full of horrific ingredients. They're loaded with added sugars (heavily refined sucrose syrups), dangerous artificial dyes for coloring, and brominated vegetable oil (BVO). BVO is also added to gasoline and farming fumigants among other insane products. It is by far the most toxic ingredient in most sports drinks. BVO has been banned in over 100 countries.
Sports drinks have long been revered as great electrolyte restorers. Yes, they do contain electrolytes but not nearly as much as fruits, vegetables, milk, and nuts as well as some other drinks (I will mention in a bit). We also load up our children with sports drinks when they are sick. STOP! They are pure chemicals.
2. Unless you are working out like a maniacal beast (which hey, awesome if you are), you are not going to become severely depleted in electrolytes. So save yourself the calories and just stick to water when you're working out.
3. Our bodies have a hard time even processing electrolytes when we are still in an active state. Electrolytes are best absorbed either BEFORE or AFTER a workout, not during. Our body processes them best in a rested state.
- Bring 8 cups of water to a boil.
- Remove from heat and add 6-8 decaffeinated tea bags.
- Steep for 5-10 minutes (depending on the strength you like).
- You can opt to sweeten entire pitcher or per glass. In my home, we sweeten per glass since we each have different sweetness preferences.
- Let cool and transfer to a pitcher and keep refrigerated.
*Iced GREEN TEA is an excellent choice given that green tea has amazing health benefits.
However, once we're moving into the afternoon and evening, I switch to decaf (I know, how sad.) I also really love iced coffee. So a switch to hot-caff from the first part of the day to iced-decaf in the second half of the day is a nice change.
- Simply brew a pot of decaffeinated coffee, let cool, and store in a pitcher in the fridge.
- Again, you can opt to sweeten by pot or by glass.
- If you have a Keurig machine, fill a large cup (not a coffee cup) with ice and press brew. Then add more ice and sweeten with stevia and add almond or coconut milk as your creamer.
*There is caffeine in this drink so you might not want to chug it at night. But damn, you're still gonna want to :)
This company has a sense of humor too, which I totally appreciate. Check out the top of the box.
LOL, it made me smile :)
I just love them... and they single-handedly kept me hydrated during a recent bout of the flu. We buy them by the case at Sam's Club but most grocery stores sell them individually (usually near the organic or health section). They are sweetened with stevia so no artificial sweeteners to worry about, just a lot of yummy fruity flavors. I thought my favorite flavors were Costa Rica Clementine and Molokai Coconut but I just recently tried Congo Pear.
OMG seriously, so delicious!
- 1 cup Almond Milk (or preferred milk)
- 1 TBS Unsweetened Baking Cocoa
- 1/4 tsp Pure Vanilla Extract
- Stevia Packets, desired amount (I use 2) *NOT baking stevia
- Put cocoa in a mug, set aside.
- Microwave milk for 1 minute, then in 30 second intervals until hot.
- Gradually add hot milk to cocoa mug and stir well.
- Add vanilla and stevia and stir well.
9. CHOCOLATE MILK:
Secondly, do you have any idea how much crap is in most store bought chocolate milks? Yikes. One of the first ingredients is High Fructose Corn Syrup. This is a BIG no-no. Also, most are made with cocoa processed with alkali. This method destroys all of the cocoa's wonderful antioxidants. Then throw in all of the artificial flavors and added salt and you got yourself a cup full of junk. Not to mention the typical 8oz cup of store-bought chocolate milk weighs in at around 200 calories. That's a big difference from this 50 calorie recipe (a healthy and still yummy recipe I might add).
- Combine 1 cup almond milk (or preferred milk), 1 TBS unsweetened baking cocoa, and 1-2 stevia packets in blender.
- Mix on puree until all ingredients are smoothly blended
- Serve cold
Now you'll have to like carrots to like it but if you do, watch out. This is a party in your mouth! The only ingredient is carrots, THAT'S IT.
So it shouldn't surprise you that it tastes exactly like carrots, but I gotta tell ya, it still amazes me every time. Both of my daughters and my hubs love this juice as much as me. Currently we have four big bottles of it in our fridge. It goes quick! I feel so good knowing my little girls are drinking something so absolutely pure and healthy for them and they don't even look at it like it's a health drink because it's so good :)
So moral of this story is:
Ya, you should mostly drink water to hydrate. But there's nothing wrong with changing it up. Hydration comes in many forms, some of which are very nutritious.
You don't want to get so sick of only drinking water that you stop altogether, right? Lord knows I need to keep things interesting. I get very bored with the same food and drinks over and over.
*The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. All content in this article is for general information purposes only. I am not a doctor, nor am I a dietitian. Talk to your physician before making any changes in your diet or exercise regimen. The information found in this article is from various sources which include, but are not limited to, the sites listed above. I encourage you to do your own research and talk with your physician before making any changes in diet or exercise. This information in this article or on this website should never replace or serve as medical advice. NEVER DISREGARD PROFESSIONAL MEDICAL ADVICE OR DELAY SEEKING MEDICAL TREATMENT BECAUSE OF SOMETHING YOU HAVE READ ON OR HAVE ACCESSED THROUGH THIS WEB SITE.