* The page that you are on right now (www.halfofgabby.blogspot.com) is no longer posting new articles and information. Half of Gabby has moved to www.halfofgabby.com and will continue to post new material regularly! In addition, all older articles have been updated on the new site!
They are just like a regular personal pan pizza. Everyone can have their own favorite toppings on them.
My personal favorite is the bruschetta topping (which is in the recipe below). But you are free to do anything your little heart desires! Here’s a pic of the varieties I usually make:
5 PORTOBELLA MUSHROOM CAPS (I get mine at Sam's Club)
2 1/2c Diced TOMATOES (You can use any type of tomato or a combination of different kinds)
1 1/2c SHREDDED MOZZARELLA CHEESE (1/4 reserved for bruschetta mixture)
1/4c GRATED PARMESAN CHEESE
1/2c Finely Sliced GREEN ONIONS
2 Tsp DRIED PARSLEY
1/2 Tsp GARLIC SALT
1/2 Tsp DRIED BASIL LEAVES
SALT & PEPPER (Desired amount)
1/4c Reduced Fat FETA CHEESE (Optional)
*Have a roll of PAPER TOWELS on hand
1. Remove mushroom stem and scrape the underside of the mushroom caps with a small teaspoon.
*Be somewhat gentle when scraping (especially the edges) so that you don't break the cap.
This is what the underside of the mushroom cap looks like before scraping.
This is what the underside of mushroom cap looks like after scraping, washing and drying.
2. Wash and dry the mushroom caps.
3. Line a cookie sheet with foil and lightly mist with cooking spray. Place mushroom caps on cookie sheet and broil EACH side for 5 minutes. Broil them with the undersides UP first.
*After caps are broiled, you'll need to soak up the extra liquid with paper towels.
4. While mushroom caps are broiling, dice up the tomatoes and put in large bowl.
5. Mix green onions, 1/4c grated Parmesan cheese, 1/4c shredded Mozzarella cheese, garlic salt, dried basil, dried parsley, salt, and pepper in with the diced tomatoes.
6. Wipe off and dry the foil that is lining your cookie sheet and then RE-MIST it lightly with cooking spray. Place mushroom caps back on foil, UNDERSIDE UP.
7. Sprinkle a small amount of mozzarella cheese as the first layer on the cap. Then put a generous amount of bruschetta as the second layer. Then sprinkle the top with reduced-fat Feta cheese (This is optional. Instead, you can sprinkle another layer of mozzarella cheese).
8. Broil until cheese is melted and slightly browned. Approx. 5-7 minutes but WATCH CLOSELY!!